Pages

May 19, 2010

New Horticulture Agent Joins Pinellas County Extension

5/19/10 |
Theresa Badurek, Urban Horticulture/Master Gardener Coordinator, Pinellas County Extension

We are at a critical crossroads here in Pinellas County. As the most densely populated county in the state of Florida, we have a responsibility to make use of the most environmentally friendly practices available. As the new Urban Horticulture Agent for Pinellas County I will provide our community with access to the resources of the University of Florida through educational programs, activities, events, and publications. These resources will give us the tools we need to bring the most advanced and researched environmentally friendly practices available to the citizens of Pinellas County.

I joined the University of Florida/IFAS team at the Pinellas County Extension office on March 26th as the Urban Horticulture Extension Agent/Master Gardener Coordinator. My goal is to give our residents the tools they need to create and maintain Florida-Friendly landscapes. As the Master Gardener Coordinator I will work with the volunteer team to inspire, educate, and motivate existing and new Master Gardener volunteers. These Master Gardeners will be leaders in carrying this environmental stewardship message to our county.

My educational background begins with a bachelor’s degree in biology from the University of Central Florida. My studies there were concentrated on botany and Florida ecosystems. I then earned a master’s degree in landscape architecture at the University of Florida, where I focused on the use of design to advance environmentally-friendly practices. During my time as a professional designer I practiced Florida Friendly landscape principles, Firewise principles, CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Design), and many other design tools that I hope to share with the people of Pinellas County. The position of Urban Horticulture Agent is the perfect platform for that type of stewardship. In addition to my role as community educator, I maintain an arborist license and a green building (LEED) accreditation.

As a Pinellas County native I look forward to teaching and growing with all of you. This is a place that I hold near and dear, and I am personally invested in the responsible care of our lands and waters. Please be sure to check out our “Planting Pinellas” blog at http://plantingpinellas.blogspot.com/ for updates on plants, insects, and other relevant topics regarding your Florida Friendly landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment