Pages

March 24, 2010

New Marine/Coastal Sustainability Agent joins Pinellas County Extension

Heather Hammers, Coastal Marine Sustainability Agent, Pinellas County Extension

Pinellas County offers incredible opportunities for coastal living through the 588 miles of coastline surrounding our community. As the new Marine Agent for Pinellas County, my role is to provide Pinellas County access to the resources and expertise of the University of Florida through educational programs, publications, activities, and events. As an extension agent, I will deliver unbiased, research-based info to help people improve their quality of life.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Heather Hammers. I joined the University of Florida/IFAS team here at the Pinellas County Extension office on March 5th as the Marine/Coastal Extension Agent with the Sea Grant Extension Program. I learned the ABC’s of fisheries and water quality while working with the Florida LAKEWATCH and Fishing for Success program as a graduate student at the University of Florida. I have a Master’s degree in Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. Through various work experiences, I have been able to touch on some of the pressing issues facing our coastal communities and through my program at Pinellas County Extension, I will address impacts to our coastal environments.

My responsibilities at Pinellas County Extension will include planning, developing, and implementing comprehensive marine educational programs that focus on marine industries, fisheries, and habitat issues, including coastal hazards and climate change issues that impact areas predominately in Pinellas County. I will work closely with community leaders and decision-makers focusing on sustainable and resilient community planning and development. So, whether you are an avid fisherman, sea turtle tracker, seafood lover, or just simply interested in learning more about coastal resources, please stay tuned for my online articles at http://www.pinellascountyextension.org/ Thinking Green - as well as educational programs. You can send me questions on the new http://www.askextension.org/ FAQ site – click on comments and type in your question.

No comments:

Post a Comment